Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar) can do miracles for your body that several months of dieting and exercise cannot achieve. Story doesn’t end here, apart from healthy and fit body, it will give you relaxed min and spiritual strength. There is no doubt that world is going crazy after this ancient yogic tradition of worshipping the rising sun. This is one of the most powerful Yoga and endorsed by many top level celebrities and health gurus.
It will improve your posture, give strength to your body muscles and cut extra inches from your waist, Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar) has many benefits provided you adapt it the right way. A set of 12 postures which are fixed and cyclic will should be performed repeatedly at an easy pace. This will bring sense of well being, spiritual and mental stability and body health immediately. Person with heart diseases, arthritis or slip-disk should consult their doctor befor adapting Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar). Surging popularity of Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar) is notwithstanding, jumpstarting the day is no the best thing to do as far as fitness is concerned. Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar) is the best thing to start your day with. If you are not a fitness freak or physically active, then you should do some basic warm up and stretching exercise to make your muscles flexible for Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar). Such pre warm up and stretching will give you stamina and flexibility.
Once your body is ready for Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar), you can begin with a set of 3 Surya Namaskars for first few days and then increase it to five and then up to 10 in a week’s time. But you should mind that practicing Surya Namaskar in right posture is more important than increasing number of rounds because perfecting every move will give best benefits of this yogic ritual. This could be a uphill task for beginners but once you are used to this after some sort of stretching and warm up, you will enjoy this and it will become so graceful.
Here are some warm up and stretching exercise to perform before starting Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutation
1. Neck: Breathe in while you turn your neck to the right and breathe out as you come back to the starting position. Again, breathe in while turning your neck to the left and breathe out in the centre. Repeat this movement thrice. Rotate your neck first clockwise and then anti-clockwise.
2. Arm and shoulder: Stretch your arms out in front of your chest and move your palms up and down, then sideways. Further on, rotate your fist clockwise and anti-clockwise. To relax your arms, place your palm on your shoulder and move your shoulders first clockwise then anti-clockwise.
3. Knee: Bend forwards with your palms resting on your knees, join your knees and move forwards and backwards. End the routine by rotating your knees clockwise and anti-clockwise.
4. Stomach and back: Interlock your fingers over your chest and slowly raise your hands upwards while you breathe in and stand on your toes. Return to Position 1 as you breathe out. Repeat this cycle three times.
5. Legs and waist: Stretch your legs wide in standing position, touch you left toe with the right hand, then the right toe with the left. Keep your knees straight while you do so. Repeat a few times.
After these exercise you body will be suitably warmed up to start Surya Namaskar. You can refer to Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation) Yoga: Step by Step Tutorial & Benefits where i have mentioned step by step guide to perform Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar).
[tags] Sun Salutation, Surya Namaskar, Vedic Ritual, Yoga, Posture, Basic exercise, Stretching [/tags]