Currently I installed some program which changed default search engine in Firefox browser. I tried my best but it became nearly impossible for me to change default search engine in Firefox. The same problem was there with other browsers like Chrome and Internet Explorer. In Chrome and IE I was easily able to change default search engine, but in Firefox it wasn’t that easy.
Here Default search engine means the search engine results returned for string entered in address bar.
After Googling it for sometime i came to know that this was a tricky task. Below is the step by step process to change the default search engine in Firefox and restore to default.
In below steps “Set to default value” means right click on the item and click on “reset”.
- Type “about:config” in your address bar
- Say “ok” in case you are prompted by any message
- reset “browser.startup.homepage” pref to its default value
- reset “keyword.URL” pref to its default value
- reset “browser.search.defaultenginename” pref to its default value
- reset “browser.newtab.url” to its default value
There is another option to do so, there is a plug-in for Firefox called SearchReset 0.2 which does the above tasks automatically. But right now this plug-in is of no use for me as I manually executed above steps, but yes i installed it for any possible future use.